November 13, 2009

An Artful Fetish for Words

I've had a love affair with words for as long as I can remember. As a precocious youngster, I would read the dictionary for fun. (Hey, I didn’t say I was popular, just precocious). I understood all too well that the pen truly is mightier than the sword, and a word once spoken would linger and continue its impact long after it has been uttered. Words are powerful indeed and "fetish" is one of the greats - it's an attention seeking word, it has sizzle and as many exciting synonyms as you can imagine: obsession, fixation, mania. Fetish is a word with a dark side; a word perfect for the world of art!

Fetish:noun

1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.

2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.

3. Psychology. any object that causes a habitual response or fixation.

Yes, I confess, I have an art fetish. There's no question in my mind that every artist pours at least a little magical potency into their work and that it is meant to elicit strong feelings. That the artist aspired to create a sense of awe and wonder, and more than likely went through at least a brief period of fixation before the piece was done.

I wish to share with you some of my favourites here. The artists and the artworks that embody a potent spirit, and along the way I promise I’ll share with you my fixations and challenges in creating art that I hope will inspire others.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Andrea, Your amazing drawings drew me in and I stared at them mesmerized. Then my heart grew heavier and heavier self-reflecting on my life a little poem was born,

    WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO TO HEAL?
    DO THEY TRULY HEAL AT ALL OR DO THEY MELT INTO THE
    TRIBE OF "BROKEN HEARTS" JUST TO BELONG?
    THEY GET MARRIED.
    THEY HAVE CHILDREN.
    THEY BETRAY THEIR SPOUSES, NEGLECT THEIR CHILDREN.

    DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY.

    ALL ALONG THEIR BROKEN HEARTS ARE BEGGING TO BE PUT TOGETHER,
    BUT THEY ARE WANDERING EAST WANTING TO SEE THE SUNSET.............

    Maybe you can host a PoemFest for people that are inspired by your art and at one point in the future everyone who visits your blog can judge the poems?

    I am looking forward to more of your soulful art.

    BTW: please put more of your art on your blog – I had to visit your website to see most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. evita - I like your poemfest idea and appreciate your kind comments. I have a feeling your poem will be the inspiration for a future drawing - thank you.

    ReplyDelete